Friday, June 3, 2016

Day 2 - Sofia with Jeffov

Sofia with Jeffov


Two years ago, when I started my Brasilian adventure, the first person I bumped into in Rio de Janeiro was an old mate from Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Simon Evans, who had lived there for 25 years or so. This time, even more bizarrely, the first person I met - here in Sofia, Bulgaria, of all places was my dear (almost) brother Jeffrey Newcombe.




I'm still not quite sure why he chose Sofia as the place to meet up but whatever reason was compounded when his good friend Tony Tilston told him his son, James, had recently started working here and was planning to come and visit him.

Thus, the scene was set for a most peculiar reunion on the grand Vitosha Boulevard, leading majestically to the mountains overlooking the city to the south, with dear old Jeffrey. 


Tony was waiting for us (slightly more than 400 yards away from the hotel) on a table by the pedestrianised walkway. He's a chap I'd never even met before but within 15 minutes it felt like I'd known him all my life as we got straight to the nitty-gritty and discussed many aspects of life, especially politics.

Suffice it to say, that many beers were consumed over the next few hours and we were joined by his son at the "best beer bar in Sofia" - Vitamin B - according to ratebeer.com and then onto a Bulgarian resturarant for a rather splendid traditional meal.




As I write this now at the breakfast table I am nursing a 2 star hangover and thinking "why did I drink so much?" but I have a hunch the feeling will pass soon.

Vitamin B is good for you



Aljice
Maria Luisa Hotel, Sofia.




No comments:

Post a Comment