Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day 27 - Forza Italia

Forza Italia!

Italy look the strongest team so far, so it's apt that my next stop was Italy.

I had a coffee and did a bit of internetting whilst I still had data coverage on my mobile in France before setting off for Milano. I actually ran out of data credit and set off to buy a top up but couldn't find a 'tabac' and in the end decided not to bother. (That was a mistake, always keep mobiles topped up and charged.)

The drive from Nice into Italy was beautiful but a little wearying. There are miles and miles of tunnel-bridge-tunnel and I must admit to getting a bit freaked out. One minute you're a little claustrophobic in a dark tunnel, then a few seconds later, you're flying 500m over a valley on a bridge, uncomfortably close to big lorries and flimsy-looking safety barriers. It certainly gets the adrenaline running. 



John's 


Cliffs and tunnels on the way from Nice to Milan


Dramatic dash to La Scala by 2:30pm

At one quick stop I checked when my tour of La Scala was booked for. I know, I should have done this the day before but somehow, after England's performance against Iceland, seeing an opera theatre wasn't upper most in my mind. I discovered that - eek! - it was at 2:30pm and here was I, just into Italy and it was already about 11am.

Italian motorways are not very helpful when you don't have SatNav working. I had almost reached Genoa before I even saw a sign that had "Milano" written on it and I started to panic as time was ticking and I was still clinging to the coast and it's scarily sheer drop to the Mediterranean to my right. So when I saw the sign I was relieved but, a few seconds later, due to confusing a couple of confusing (to me) road signs I missed the turn off.
I knew there must be another major road to Milan from Genoa so I kept going, all the time thinking "maybe I should have stopped and turned back!" But eventually, my faith in my geography paid off and, at about noon, I finally left the coast and headed north towards Milan.

So here I am, driving at the maximum allowed speed, heading for the very big city of Milan, knowing that I had a tour booked, at the famous opera house right in the center with about two hours to get there. I had no data connection so had no idea how far it was. From memory I thought it was doable, so I kept my foot down. It would have been great if there had been a few road signs indicating how far away Milan was but, frustratingly, it wasn't until about it was about 70 km away that one appeared. This was good news. At least I knew it was theoretically possible. But did 70km mean the center or the outskirts? And how was I going to get through the traffic? 

As I got closer, I saw the answer - there was a park and ride facility. All I needed to do was park the car, nip onto the metro and I'd get there.

So, yes, I parked the car (it was almost full, so I had to go to the very top of a four level multi-storey) then, as Murphy's Law kicked in again, the lifts were broken so I had to run down the escalators to the ground floor where I saw a bus station but no metro line. Don't panic, Mr Mannering!

After asking a couple, I was told where the metro line was - at the back of the bus terminal and so I legged it down there, still not knowing how far away the city center was, or how long it would take. It was now five past two, and part of me thought "Why bother? You're not going to make it!" But I thought if I get there a bit late, surely, they'd let me in.

Anyway, I bought a day ticket for the metro line 4 Euros 50 cents - bargain and asked a intelligent-looking guy which stop for La Scala. He turned out to be an oncologist and, as he was going to the same stop, he came with me and made sure I changed lines (from M2 to M1) and got off at the right station (Duomo).

The time was 2:25 as I legged it up the staits to the magnificent site of La Duomo cathedral. I had it in my mind where La Scala was, but I was mistaken. So, getting increasingly sweaty in the 30C heat, I again asked for directions and eventually found my way into the museum to catch up with my group and tour guide, just 5 minutes into the tour.


Made it!


La Scala, Milano

Galeria



Feeling relieved at making it to the tour in time

I love La Duomo. Beautiful Catherdral.

England winning a major football tournament - sembra la fabrica dello duomo





The tour of the opera house and its museum was interesting and the ideal way of calming down after the two hours of stress getting there,






Having made it to my tour and calmed down, it was time to find the hotel. My mobile battery was draining away and without any data connection it was a bit of a struggle but eventually, after having three different (and seemingly contradictory) pieces of advice, I eventually caught the right tram (no 24) and got to the hotel. The room was fine but there always seems to be something wrong and this time it was the lack of a convenient power socket. I ended up recharging my phone through the shaver socket next to the sink.

As my stuff was recharging, I got a taxi to the park and ride place. The taxi driver was a big football fan and we chatted about the England debacle (in English) before I left him with a "Forza Italia!". I found the car easily enough and drove back to the hotel and parked right next to the building.

Then, having brought in my bag of clothes I had a shower and got changed and then when out to the Navigli district which features a couple of canals and hundreds of bars. 

I walked half of the journey and then caught a tram for the other half.

It was a lovely area with a great vibe. It was great to be able to just sit down and have a few beers and a nice meal.

The craft beer scene is pretty strong in Italy and I went to two excellent bars, especially one called BQ (for Beer Quality, in Italian).

I had a nice talk there about the Brexit referendum result with the barman. They had a board offering free hugs to anyone sad about the result. He didn't give me a hug but I did appreciate his sympathy. It feels like someone who has been with a group of friends for 40 years, suddenly deciding that they no longer want to be seen with them. Hurtful and sad.





Lovely seafood linguine


BQ - Great Craft Beer Bar in Milan


Everywhere in Europe there is shock and sadness at the UK decision




Ice cream to end with



At closing time, I had a nice ice cream and then walked back to the hotel to crash out.

Aljice
Milano

No comments:

Post a Comment